Wednesday, May 28, 2008

In acceptance, finally

I am utterly confounded. The reason for my state of perplexity is not a complicated math problem or even a law of science. I would have you know that I am quite alright with problems that involve logic, or even lateral thinking and all that. The creation of Mark Zuckerberg, however, is a different story altogether. Facebook, the social networking site, continues to bewilder and astound me.

It’s not that I am anti-social (I claim, rather, to be aloof due to circumstances). I too have my moments. With changing priorities and increasing workloads, though, social interaction comes down to a minimum. And if you believe that every moment counts, why spend a good number of them making small talk, right?

So then, good friends are a rare commodity. Not all conversations start off from the point at which it was interrupted by life! So, instead of picking up the phone, why would I POKE them (POKE = virtual notification). Also, explain this. How do teens chat with and poke friends that they saw roughly an hour before in school?

Ok, so I POKE someone and then what? I spend 2 hours on the Facebook site instead of the 2 minutes originally planned! I decide to check out Photos that friends have uploaded and suddenly realize there are REQUESTS waiting for me. I excitedly click on these, thinking someone would have started a thought provoking string, but NO! It’s a REQUEST to join a fan club for some TV series or the other.

For the young, FACEBBOOK is perhaps an outlet for interaction that would otherwise be considered rude. I don’t remember a time when it was ‘friendly’ to write on another’s wall! Then again, sending virtual gifts is probably a conscientious effort to save pocket money!
Now for something positive – the above thoughts were mine before I actually started networking on FB. Now, I am a regular, and love that I am getting back in touch with friends I never thought I’d see again!

I am most impressed with the myriad groups that find interested parties with shared aspirations. Of course, I also find the games (silly or not) irresistible. And hey, where else can I join a group that is titled ‘Bharatanatyam:Because we’re cooler than you!’?!?

4 comments:

Roopa said...

gee! you know your facebook better than i do. when i enter facebook, it is like a cretan maze, i just don't know which way to turn. does the e-poke have a similar of effect of the msn "nudge"? does it send shiver's down your lappy's spine? i should check it out...

Arch said...

this is funny....i just disabled my facebook account...realized i have almost the same set of friends i do in orkut and i am just wasting time checking on different accounts!!!

man in painting said...

We all might have the desire to get connected.May be we find consolation in finding virtual realtions..
Nice blog.
Visit MAN IN PAINTING...
BYE.

Janaki said...

roopa : it is a time sink, no doubt - but it also brings out the kid in you - like when you compete for high scores!!!
arch: i think we just have too many options to network online, and eventually you end up pulling your hair out
man in painting: ah! the insightful version of it all. Interesting