Saturday, December 6, 2008

In Remembrance

An oddity of sorts – we spend half our lives gaining complications, and the other half trying to undo it all in the quest for simplicity.

I don’t know of many who actually realize the method to take the straight route to simplicity. So it took me by surprise when I realized there was such a soul in my own family.

I don’t remember the exact moment that I realized – she’d always been around. I think some part of me felt she’d always be around. Or maybe hoped it.

If you had a doubt or query, you called her. If you had good news and yearned to hear a congratulatory note, you called her. If you had bad news and wanted to wallow, you called her.

She included every one of us in her prayers – without a doubt. Equanimity must have been her middle name, because everyone felt they were special to her.

Every clan has its ‘go to’ person. The one person who holds the task of building bridges, approving decisions and pacifying nerves.

Saroji periamma was all that and much more. She remained an unwavering pillar of support and encouragement for every one of us. She was my aunt, and my first music teacher. Drifting back, I can almost taste the snacks and sweets she would make if I was visiting. After a full day’s work at the Kindergarten where she taught, she’d return only to tutor kids living nearby, and then somehow still have time to attend to all of us.

I think the family will agree that the one word that describes Saroji periamma is Altruistic.

I miss you Saroji periamma. And hope that I am able to retain a part, at least, of the wisdom you imparted through the years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,
That was such an apt description of saroji ,the selfless person she was and as you exactly put it,we used turn to her for everything .I MISS HER A LOT
Love
padma

Unknown said...

hello Janu,
you have aptly pictured sarojiamma, to whom we all looked upon her for guidance.
correctly on her death anniversary you have placed your blogger.
we miss her every day.

love
ganas family.